Nov 22, 2010

Sweet and Sour Chicken with Brown Rice





This is my sons favorite meal, so I made this for him on his birthday. This is also one of my favorites too!
I first start the rice. Brown rice always seems to take a while to cook.

In a pot on the stove I put 2 Tbsp olive oil. I Added 1/2 C. onion, 1/8 C. bell pepper, and you can also add 1/8 C. carrots, 1/4 C. celery. Cook until onions are transparent. Add 1 C. rice and 2 1/2 C. chicken broth (it's on sale this time of year). Add a pinch of salt. Stir. When it comes to a boil, cover and turn the heat down to low. Cook for 40-45 minutes. Season with black pepper.

While my rice is cooking I like to start the sauce:
1 C. sugar
1/2 C. ketchup
1/8 C. soy sauce
1/2 C. vinegar
1/2 C. pineapple juice
3 Tbsp. crushed pineapple

In a pot on the stove add all ingredients and boil for 5 minutes. Then add 1/4 C. water mixed with 2 Tbsp. cornstarch (to thicken it up). Boil for another 15 minutes.

Now for the chicken:
On 2 plates or shallow bowls put 1 1/2 C. flour, (seasoned with Salt and Pepper), and 2 eggs and 1 Tbsp. water, beaten together.
Cut up 4 chicken breasts into bite sized pieces.
Heat up about 3 C. canola oil on medium high. Careful it gets pretty hot. Make sure young children are clear of the premises.
You can also put all the chicken in a ziplock bag with the flour and shake it until all chicken is coated if you are in a hurry. When I made it the other night I just did each individual piece.
So, dip the chicken in flour first, then egg mixture then put it into the hot oil. Cook until crisp and light brown. Take out with tongs and place on towels to dop up grease. Pour sauce over top.

I also like to serve this meal with Steamed broccoli.

Sorry this is so confusing and a lot of words.

Recipe by: Becky

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...