Mar 16, 2011

Bean, Lentil, and Ham soup

Beans are so good for you, they have a lot of protein and fiber. They are inexpensive too! I got a bean mix from the bins at Winco and thought I would try to use it. I started out trying to do the quick soak method, but would recommend cooking them in the crock pot or soaking them over night. They take time and there is no way around it. I really had a great time experimenting and teaching myself how to cook dried beans. I was so surprised my family liked this. I would have thought they would have turned up their noses at this for sure. It actually turned out quite tasty.


In a large pot add:

8 C. water
2 C. bean mixture (beans & lentils)
Soak overnight or boil them for a few minutes, take them off the heat and let sit for 2-3 hours. (I know time consuming!)

Dump off excess water and replace with fresh water that covers the beans about 2 inches above top.

In a skillet add:
2 Tbsp. oil
1 lrg. onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 cloves garlic, diced
3 lrg. carrots, chopped
Saute until veggies are translucent.

Then add:
2 C. cooked ham or lunch meat ham, chopped

Add veggies and ham to beans when beans are tender. (If they are not tender yet boil them for a while.)

Add:
1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
2 tsp. salt

Simmer for 20 minutes.
Serve with biscuits, rolls, bread, etc.

Good luck! This was an adventure. It made a lot. It will be great for lunches. And very healthy too!

Recipe by: Becky

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...