Mar 14, 2011

Johnny Cakes or Corn meal Griddle Cakes

I guess this is a pioneer recipe. When I cook them, I feel so domestic. :)j/k

My kids loved these. They were always like, "Can I have a Johnny Cake?"

In a bowl add:
3/4 C. cornmeal
1 C. boiling water
1 C. sour milk or buttermilk (I just add 1 Tbsp vinegar to almost 1 C. of milk & let sit for 3 minutes)
1 1/2 tsp. sugar (they put salt in the book, but it must have been a typo)
3 Tbsp. oil
1 1/2 C. flour
1 Tbsp. molasses
2 eggs
1/4 tsp. baking soda

Pour water over cornmeal and stir until thick.

Add Molasses and milk.

Beat in eggs.

Add other dry ingredients.

Stir in oil.


Cook on hot griddle.
 Can put butter on top, roll up, and serve with soup.


 Or, serve as a dessert. Put honey inside, roll up, sprinkle with powdered sugar, and put cherries on top.
 

Recipe by: Mary Fehlberg
Cookin' with Home Storage by Peggy Layton & Vicki Tate
Variations by: Becky

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...