Oct 24, 2014

Whole Wheat/White Bread


This bread is delish! This is one of my favorite recipes. My family & friends devour it! 

I like to grind my own wheat in my dry Vitamix blender. It makes it more nutritious. But, you can certainly just use whole wheat flour and be good to go.

I tripled this recipe, and as you can see in this picture...it made 3 LARGE loaves. So, this recipe tripled would make 4 good sized loaves as well.

Recipe:
1/2 C. milk (I use evaporated in a can for my baking)
3 Tbsp. sugar or honey
2 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. yeast
1 1/2 C. warm water
5-6 C. flour (I use half wheat/ half white, I also like to add some whole grain cereal mix into the flour)

In a glass bowl in the microwave add milk & butter. Take it out when butter is soft.
Add sugar & salt. 
Stir.
Dissolve yeast in warm water.(Let sit for 5-10 minutes).
In a large bowl pour milk mixture and start adding flour. Stir & stir like crazy!
Keep adding flour until warm. 
Add yeast/water mixture.
Add the rest of the flour. 
Stir well.
Knead for 10 minutes. 
Place dough into a greased bowl, cover with a towel. Let rise for about 45-60 minutes.
Punch down and pour out onto greased/floured surface. Cut into 4 equal parts. 
Knead and shape into loaves. (I like to roll mine out into a rectangle shape, then roll it up like a jelly roll, pinch the sides closed and place into greased bread pans).
Let rise for 45-60 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350*.
Bake bread for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown on top and bottom.
Take out of oven and butter tops.
Run knife around the edges of each pan and pop out onto a dish towel. 
Enjoy!

Recipe inspired by Kitchen Aid Mixer recipe book. 

Becky

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...