Nov 8, 2010

Chicken and Mushrooms with Saffron Rice

I got this recipe from my friends book called Fabulous Freezer Meals by Jenny Ahlstrom Stranger. It is a great book, I highly recommend it. This is a very unique dish, with a lot of flavor. I really don't prefer to eat mushrooms, I don't really like the taste. But I saw on Dr. Oz how good mushrooms are for you, especially cooked. So, I decided I better start eating more mushrooms.

Ingredients:
2 lbs. skinless, boneless chicken breasts
3 Tbs. butter
3 lbs. fresh mushrooms (portobello or crimini), stemmed and sliced
3 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary (I just used dried)
3 tsp. garlic, minced
1 1/2 C. low sodium chicken stock
1 1/2 C. low sodium beef stock
1 1/2 C. whipping cream
pinch of saffron

Cut chicken into cubes, then boil it in a large pot of water for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Melt butter in a skillet. Add mushrooms and rosemary. Do not stir. Let sit until mushrooms are tender and golden brown. Add garlic and saute until you can smell it. Add stocks to the pan, bring to a boil, and reduce liquid by half. Add whipping cream (I just used 1 C. whole milk) and reduce until thickened. Season to taste with fresh ground pepper and salt. Divide chicken into 4 to 5 large zip top bags, then pour sauce over chicken pieces. Place each bag of chicken/sauce with a bag of frozen, cooked rice. Freeze up to 3 months.
To serve:
Defrost chicken/sauce in microwave and serve on a bed of hot rice. For flavor and colorful rice, rub a pinch of saffron in your hands to warm it, then sprinkle on rice. (You can also use curry powder, saffron is so expensive!) Cook rice on the stove in a covered saucepan. Do not remove or lift lid until rice is done, or the color will not be as bright.

This is not typed word per word from cook book.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...