Mar 31, 2011

Irish Soda Bread

The other day at church I got this recipe. It is quite good. It reminds me almost of my banana bread, minus the bananas, if that makes sense.

Ingredients:
4 C. all purpose flour (I added 1 C. wheat, 3 C. white)
4 Tbsp. White sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 C. butter
1/4 C. oil
1 C. buttermilk
1 egg
1/4 C. butter
1/4 C. butter milk



In a bowl add dry ingredients.
Stir in softened butter & oil.
Stir in 1 C. buttermilk & egg.
Knead slightly on a floured surface.
Form into a round ball and place on a greased cookie sheet.
Cut a giant X in the top with a sharp knife. 
Brush Bread with 1/4 C. butter & 1/4 C. buttermilk before you put in oven and throughout cooking.Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes, or until knife comes out clean.


Great with honey or strawberry jam on top. 

Original recipe from a women at my church.
Tweaked by: Becky

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...