Aug 13, 2011

Homemade Yogurt

I have been on a health food kick lately and feel so great! Here is just one of the things I have been making.
In a pot on the stove add about 4-5 C. Milk (We get milk from our neighbors, so it is 100%  natural. :)
Use a candy thermometer and continue stirring while it reaches 175-180 degrees. I like to use a non-stick pan, so it doesn't scorch. 
 Take off the stove and add 1/4 C. powdered milk. Whisk in well. Cool milk mixture down to 110-105 degrees. 
 Then whisk in 1/2 C. room temperature yogurt of choice. Yesterday I just used Stoneyfield organic blueberry. Delish!

Pour into containers of choice with a lid. You can use little containers for the kids, that's always fun for them to pull their own out of the fridge. Turn on oven to warm for about 5 minutes. Turn oven off and place yogurt containers on a cookie sheet in oven for 6-8 hours. Take out and place in refrigerator over night. 
If you would like it a little thicker you can add gelatin or pectin when you add the yogurt start. 
I just love making my own yogurt, because I know exactly what is in it.
It also is great because it gives you probiotics, which regulate your intestinal flora. 
You can also sweeten it with agave nectar, honey, or pure maple syrup. 

Enjoy!
Recipe by: Becky

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...