Aug 14, 2014

Pepper "Steak"

This recipe is one of my husband's faves. His Mom made it for their family a lot while he was growing up.
 I had always made it with steak and cut up the pieces and such. But just recently I have started making it with ground beef. I prefer it so much more without all the gristle and the hard chewing that comes along with steak. 


Here is the recipe:

Brown 1 lb. hamburger in a pan. (I use extra lean, so I don't have to drain my meat. But, you may need to drain the meat if you don't use lean ground beef). 

 

Add 1/4 C. chopped onion (I love using red onions, they are so sweet).


After about 3-5 minutes add: 2 C. water, 2 tsp. beef bouillon (I use 2 cubes), 2 Tbsp. Sugar, 4 Tbsp. soy sauce (I ran out, so I used Worcestershire), and salt & pepper to taste .Cover with a lid and let simmer for 10 minutes. 
 

In a bowl add 3 Tbsp. flour to 1/3 C. water. Whisk together. Pour into pan with the beef and stir.  


Heat until thickened.


Serve over rice.
(I use Jasmine rice. I cook it in my rice cooker and it is oh so yummy! I put 3 C. water in, 2 C. rice, 1 Tbsp. Coconut oil, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Stir, then cook until done). 

Tonight we had pepper steak over rice, steamed vegetables (carrots, potatoes, & broccoli), and sweet juicy watermelon. And water to drink.


Enjoy!
This recipe was tweaked a little from original recipe by: Kathy Jones


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...