Aug 29, 2014

Rice Pudding


Every time we go "back home" to my husband's parent's house his Mom makes Rice Pudding. It is warm, creamy, and nostalgic. Our kids love it! 
I made her recipe and it was good, she makes it just right and it is delicious!
But, here are a few things I discovered how I like it....
I like the recipe where you add the cooked rice to the pot first, then add the milk, eggs, etc. to the pot and then cook it that way, instead of cooking and thickening the liquid first and then adding the rice.
Use white rice, instead of Jasmine or sushi. Otherwise it gets mushy and the rice doesn't keep it's shape.
You know the rice pudding you buy in the dairy section at the store? I think it's  
I tried it the other day, because we love rice pudding. It was really good. I liked how creamy it was. So, I wanted to make something similar. This is what I came up with. It is soooo good!

Cook rice in a rice cooker. When it is done add it to a pot on the stove over medium heat.


Add milk & sugar mixture to the rice & stir.  
Cook for 5-10 minutes.
In a separate bowl mix milk & eggs.
Add to the rice.
Stir.
Add Vanilla.


Stir & cook for about 7-10 more minutes. 


Sprinkle with cinnamon & nutmeg.


Sprinkle with a bit more nutmeg before serving.


Serve hot or cold. Great for Sunday morning breakfast.

Recipe:
1 1/2 C. long grain white rice
3 C. water
1/8 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. Coconut oil
3 C. milk (divided)
1/3 C. brown (for more of a caramely taste) or white sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
Dash of cinnamon & nutmeg

In a rice cooker add rice, water, salt, & coconut oil. Cook on white rice setting until done. Add rice to a non- stick pot on the stove over medium heat. Add 1 1/2 C. milk & the sugar. Stir (I prefer to use a wooden spoon). Cook for 5-10 minutes. In a separate bowl whisk together 1 1/2 C. milk & the egg. Slowly add to rice mixture on the stove. Cook for 7-10 minutes. Add vanilla, cinnamon, & nutmeg. Stir. 
Put into bowls and have nutmeg, raisins, nuts, etc. out for garnish. 
Enjoy! 


Recipe by: Becky

P.S. This would be awesome made with coconut milk!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...