Nov 8, 2010

Honey Oatmeal Bread

1 1/2 C. water
1/2 C. honey
1/3 C. butter
5 1/2-6 1/2 C. flour (I do half wheat half white)
1 C. quick oats
2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. yeast
2 eggs
1 egg white
1 Tbsp. Water
Oatmeal

Place water, honey, and butter in a bowl and heat in microwave until butter is melted. Place 5 C. flour, oats, salt and yeast in large bowl. Mix until well incorporated. Gradually add warm butter mixture to flour mixture and mix about 3 minutes. Add eggs and mix for another few minutes. Add remaining flour and mix some more for about 3 minutes. Knead for 5 minutes on the counter. Place dough in greased bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place about 1 hour or until doubled in bulk. Punch down and divide into two, cutting with a knife. Shape loaves and place in greased bread pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place for another hour. Beat egg white and water together with a fork. Brush tops of loaves with mixture. Sprinkle with oatmeal. Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire racks.

I got this idea from my Kitchen Aid Recipe book. I don't have a kitchenaid, I stir everything by hand. So, the instructions I typed out are without a mixer.

This bread is so yummy! I didn't let it rise as long as it said, so my bread was a bit dense, but still tasty.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...