- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly milled black pepper
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1 large egg
Stir all together until it forms a large ball. To make it more workable you can refrigerate the dough for a few hours. I didn't. Roll it out on a floured surface. Cut out with gingerbread man cookie cutter. Use a spatula to scrape it off the counter and place on greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes. Half way through the cooking time, move to the bottom rack. It helps keep the cookies crisp. Or you could choose not to. Cool on cookie sheet for 3 minutes. Cool on cooling racks. Frost and decorate.
I found this recipe on foodnetwork.com. I loved how they used black pepper. Be careful not to eat all the dough before they get into the oven. I couldn't quit eating it. It was so flavorful.